DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY
The Department of History was established in the college on 1975 with a vision to provide the students of rural based Nagamangala with the knowledge of History which shall help them to lead good life.
Since its inception the Department of History has prepared the students to obtain various jobs in the Administrative services. Students who got their BA with History as one of their subjects in the Degree course have completed their higher studies in ManasaGangothri, Mysore and other University centers. Many Alumni of the Department have contributed to the Knowledge of History.
In view of the importance of the subject the management has made ‘History’ as compulsory paper in B.A course. The department of History has been offering the following combinations.
H E P
History, Economics, Political Science
H E S
History, Economics, Sociology
H E G
History, Economics, Geography
H E E
History, Economics, English
VISON OF THEDEPARTMENT
History is a branch of knowledge having the most ancientantiquity and the most radical modernity. This branch of knowledge has been themost inquisitive subject of fascination and investigation. It is not a recordof document of velour and failure. Not a report of chronological events, butactually a manifestation of human progress, depicting the failure and gloriesin the past. It is that knowledge which persuades man to create a betterlogical and human future for any generation. Men learn by past experiences andconstructive process of positive ideas has been responsible for all humanachievements hither to. Therefore the vision of the department of History is tocarve out a picture of creativity and development as essential features ofHuman progress.
· ToCreate Historical awareness
· Toinculcate the human values among the students for the development of thehealthy society.
· Tocreate awareness about local culture.
MISSION OF THEDEPARTMENT
A vision creates a goal towardswhich we have to make a meaningful and purposeful movement. The departmentenvisages the mission to materialize the purpose. Our guidelines can beconveniently formulated to the following tradable principles
· To createHistory as inter connected subject matter, tracing links from the most ancientperiod to the present world.
· Tocreate History as a holistic human organism
· TeachingHistory as a tool and technique to understand basic human nature.
· Toenable the students to analyze every dynamic situation with a Historicalapproach.
· Todevelop a mind of enquiry I relation to understand the relevance of facts andevidence.
· Todevelop a sense of probing documents, edicts and historical monuments.
· Todevelop the ability to examine and verify the evidence before arriving at aninference about human activities.
· Toteach History by subjecting the students to empirical approach by conductingtours, visits to Historical places.
· Arrangementsmade for the supply of sufficient books to the library.
· Goodrelation and co-ordination with students.
· Activeparticipation in all the college and departmental activities.
· Difficultyin introducing innovative and current issues in the syllabus.
· Lackof exposure due to incompetency.
· Moderateprofile of students.
· Studentscoming rural background with lack of English language.
· Toguide the students to create historical importance of life and achievements ofour great personalities.
· Opportunityto establish linkage with the department of tourism and other relevantdepartment.
· Scopefor competitive exams such as IAS, KAS, KES etc.
· Lackof job opportunities.
· Toaccommodate innovative aspects of contemporary issues in syllabus.
· Preparingstudents for KAS. IAS. IPS and other competitive exams.
· Inspiringthe students for doing research work.
· Strengthenthe job opportunities through campus interview.
· Tointroduce a certificate course in epigraphy.
· Plansto start PG course in history.
· Planto conduct State and national and regional level seminars.